Shareholder John Triggs has tried over 120 cases, argued over 70 appeals, conducted scores of arbitrations and injunction proceedings, and co-chairs Patterson’s Litigation Practice Group. He has litigated multiple high-stakes patent disputes and is depended on for his both his intricate trial strategy and courtroom manner.
John’s five-decade legal career has given him hands-on litigation experience in a wide range of legal disciplines from white-collar criminal defense to admiralty law and consumer product safety, to name a few. For the last 15 years, he has brought that vast legal experience to bear on a variety of intellectual property disputes with Patterson.
In addition to his litigation practice, John continues to counsel clients throughout the U.S. and abroad on strategic business matters, including the Texas Rangers AAA franchise, the Nashville Sounds. As outside general counsel for the Sounds, John was instrumental in the negotiations for the Sounds’ new ballpark in North Nashville. John’s experience has enabled him to advise businesses on all facets of their business and intellectual property needs.
- Served as a shareholder in the New York City office of international law firm Greenberg Traurig, LLP for seven years
- Served as lead counsel in multiparty, multistate proceedings
- Has cross-examined scores of experts
- Obtained a jury award for punitive damage for the defendant on a copyright infringement claim by uncovering a copyright scam involving parties in the U.S. and overseas
- Counsels clients in the United States, Europe and the Far East on litigation and strategic issues
- Represented the buyers of a Triple A franchise in securing approval from both major and minor league baseball and assisted in the negotiations of the stadium lease and related transaction
- Recently acted as outside general counsel and one of the two lead negotiators for the transaction with the State of Tennessee and Metropolitan Government of Davidson County to build state of the art Triple A ballpark, supervising various counsel to document the multi-party transaction; worked with private developers to acquire a contiguous parcel of land adjacent to the new stadium and with the owners on the design of the stadium and related projects
- Represented major Canadian clothing manufacturer sued for Trademark infringement in Southern District of New York. Discovery in Korea uncovered a trademark scam involving Korean and American companies. Obtained a defendant’s verdict and punitive damages on the client’s counterclaim. The case was retrial because the critical cross examination was suspended by the 911 attacks. The trial Judge issued a written opinion complementing counsel’s skilled presentation in the retrial.
- Represented one of two owners of multinational real-estate companies in litigation involving the control of companies and obtained 12 figure settlement for client.
- Lead council for all defendants in a product liability lawsuit involving DES in trials in both Los Angeles and San Francisco. The trial in San Francisco took about six months to complete with a month of trial every other month. The complexity of the case is best demonstrated by the need to cross-examine some twelve economists three of whom were Nobel Prize winners.
- Tried in federal court in Ohio the second single-plaintiff DES case and settled the matter very favorably on the fourth day of jury deliberations with a possible mistrial looming.
- Represented television network news anchor when subpoenaed to testify in a case in SDNY between the communist party and the FBI.
- Successfully represented television network news station when the defendant in a criminal case sought discovery of information protected by First Amendment.
- Successfully represented a major New York hospital in a proceeding to strip a thoracic surgeon of his privileges.
- Obtained a preliminary injunction for major guitar manufacture in Las Vegas Federal Court against a music store selling knockoff of branded guitar.
- Represented a major clothing company sued for trademark infringement who had been sanctioned for discovery violations and successfully opposed trademark infringement claim and obtained damages on its counterclaim for trademark infringement.
- Represented all defendants in a civil RICO case in the Middle District of Tennessee and settled the case for no damages to the plaintiff and the payment by plaintiff of our client’s legal fees.
- State of New York
- Supreme Court of the United States
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Western District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- United States District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- United States Tax Court
- American Bar Association
- Nashville Bar Association
- New York University Graduate School
- Adjunct Professor, Business Law (1973-76)
- Southern District of New York
- Mediator focusing on IP matters (2001-07)
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Tennessee Intellectual Property Law Association
- Frequent lecturer before various bar association groups on litigation-related topics
- Taught business law to M.B.A. candidates at New York University
- One of principal lecturers for Greenberg Traurig’s NITA Program and Greenberg Traurig’s In-House Trial Advocacy program
- “Functional Claiming: Section 12 Paragraph 6, Still Difficult After All These Years,” ABA Landslide Magazine, January/February 2011
- Authored an article in Trial Excellence, “Maximizing Visuals With New Software and Trial Support Tools,” 2001
- National Law Journal as one of Tennessee’s Top Lawyers 2012
- Nashville Post, Nashville’s Top 101 Lawyers, 2011
- Tennessee Business Journal, Tennessee Top 150 Lawyers, 2010
- Legal 500 US, Patent Litigation: Life Sciences/Chemical, 2007
- Recommended for IP Patent Litigation: Life Sciences/Chemical, 2007
- Best Lawyers in America: Litigation—Intellectual Property, 2014, 2015 and 2016
- John keeps trying to downhill snow ski as fast as his age (mph as kph is too easy) and he is always coming close.