MARK A. KILGORE, PH.D.
- J.D., Cumberland School of Law, cum laude
- Ph.D., Neurobiology, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- M.S., Microbiology, Auburn University
- B.S. Microbiology, Auburn University
- Registered Patent Attorney (USPTO)
Mark A. Kilgore, Ph.D. focuses his practice on patent prosecution and intellectual property infringement litigation. He also counsels clients on IP procurement in both patents and trademarks.
Mark’s scientific background provides high quality patent prosecution services in the fields of biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and the mechanical arts. In addition to procurement, he counsels clients on licensing agreements, non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements, and other IP-related transactions. Mark has also represented clients in procuring trademarks and copyrights and has conducted trademark opposition proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Mark also has litigation experience in traditional infringement cases in U.S. District Courts, appeals in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and administrative reviews, including inter partes reviews, before the USPTO. He has been an integral litigation team member in representing international and domestic companies in a variety of matters including material science, industrial equipment, chemical formulations, and medical devices.
Mark is involved in several legal and life sciences professional groups including the American Intellectual Property Law Association and Society for Neuroscience. He has also written extensively on various neuroscience topics, design patent protection, and presents on Right of Publicity matters.
REPRESENTATIVE PATENTS, COPYRIGHTS, & TRADEMARKS
- D815,979 Ornamental design for a trophy
- 10,418,005 Multimedia Display Apparatus and Method of Use Thereof
- 10,451,466 Oil Sight Glass
- 10,668,190 Multiphase Gel
- 10,507,015 Low Normal Force Retracting Device Comprising a Microstructured Surface
- 10,034,956 Class of Anti-Adhesion Hydrogels with Healing Aspects
- 10,675,297 Copolymers of Hydrophobic and Hydrophilic Segments that Reduce Protein Adsorption
- Copyright VAu 1-366-781
- Copyright VAu 1-359-307
- Copyright VAu 1-355-742
- Copyright VAu 1-354-055
- Reg. No. 5,691,044 Unsalted Waters
- Reg. No. 6,053,806 AltVault
- Reg. No. 5,930,295 & 5,930,296 BIPRI
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Eastern District of Tennessee
- Middle District of Tennessee
- Western District of Tennessee
- American Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- BIO Alabama
- Nashville Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Committee, Chair 2022
- Society for Neuroscience
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Ethics in IP Negotiations – Patterson IP CLE Nov. 2017
- Right of Publicity – Patterson IP CLE Nov. 2018
- Mark Kilgore, Technological Innovation for Helmet Safety in Reducing Concussion Impact, Attorney at Law Magazine, Middle Tennessee Edition, Vol. 3, No.4, at 7
- Mark A. Kilgore, United States v. Richardson: The Federal Circuit Split Over When Custody and Interrogation Requires a Miranda Warning Under the 5th Amendment, 38 AM. J. TRIAL ADVOC. 391 (2015)
- Thesis, “The Role of Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors in Ameliorating Memory Dysfunction of Alzheimer’s Disease,” University of Alabama at Birmingham, 2013
- “Inhibitors of Class I Histone Deacetylases Reverse Contextual Memory Deficits in a Mouse Model of Alzheimer’s Disease,” Neuropsychopharmacology (2010), 35:870-880
- “Pharmacological Selectivity within Class I Histone Deacetylases Predicts Effects on Synaptic Function and Memory Rescue,” Neuropsychopharmacology (2015), 40(10):2307-2316
- Form Over Function – The Growing Trend of Design Patent Protection, Mark A. Kilgore, William E. Sekyi, Association of Corporate Counsel Tennessee Focus, (Q3 2019)
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Intellectual Property Law, Litigation – Intellectual Property, and Patent Law, 2021, 2022
- As the fastest driver of Patterson IP Law, Mark Kilgore holds the firm record in karting and spends his weekends tuning up his track car.