Intellectual Property Law Counseling
Patterson is committed to helping our clients with all aspects of intellectual property law matters. Whether you are launching a new brand or product, acquiring an IP portfolio, auditing your own intellectual property, or worrying about whether a competitor’s trademarks and patents may affect your business, our attorneys are here to help.
Our IP Counseling Services
Intellectual property audits allow businesses to systematically collect, assess, & review their IP assets and understand the related strengths, weaknesses, threats, & opportunities of each.
Our attorneys can help identify and preserve the various intellectual properties your business owns to help it realize its full economic potential. Our IP audits can assist you with:
- IP identification & registration
- Rights management & maintenance
- Defect correction
- Asset valuation & monetization
- Infringement analysis
- Risk assessment
- Contract & licensing review & compliance
- Internal policy & procedure analysis
- Implementation of best practices for IP asset management
Patterson also provides event-specific IP audits for portfolio acquisition, new market penetration, brand campaign launches, key employee turnover, third-party infringement claims, and more.
IP due diligence is the process of auditing the intellectual property of a third-party entity, such as a competitor or target acquisition. Due diligence audits can help businesses:
- Determine the value of a corporate transaction
- Weigh risks of potential infringement
- Find opportunities for market capitalization
Our attorneys can assist your business with identifying and analyzing the IP portfolios of target entities for either offensive or defensive purposes. Because our reports are scaled to our clients’ specific issue, and proportional to the importance of the inquiry, we are able to provide a scalable analysis designed to provide clients key business intelligence even before transactional negotiations begin.
Preliminary Search & Opinions
Businesses looking to launch a new product or service are faced with the daunting task of ensuring their offerings do not infringe on any intellectual property. With millions of copyrights, trademarks, and patents in force nationwide, businesses that fail to obtain preliminary searches and opinions are effectively walking into a legal minefield, risking potential infringement of a competitor’s intellectual property and exposure to substantial damages.
We can provide:
- Patentability search & opinions for the likelihood of obtaining a patent
- Trademark search & opinions for the availability of a trademark
- Patent clearance & non-infringement opinions for whether a product or service is likely to infringe a specific patent
- Freedom to operate opinions for whether your product is likely to infringe a competitor’s patent portfolio.
Patterson can help your business clear its products and services for launch.
Patterson provides comprehensive counseling on all aspects of IP strategy. In addition to specific prosecution and litigation services, our attorneys are uniquely qualified to advise on the broad impact of intellectual property in corporate matters.
We can provide targeted advice regarding the impact of IP upon:
We provide comprehensive counseling services by partnering with you and your corporate counsel, ensuring your IP strategy aligns with your overall corporate strategy and goals.
- Corporate structure & relationships
- Creation of IP holding companies
- Asset monetization
- Debt structure Insurance obligations
- Brand management