Patterson IP is committed to helping our clients with all aspects of intellectual property law matters, from launching a new brand or product, to acquiring an IP portfolio, to auditing your own intellectual property, to worrying about whether a competitor’s trademarks and patents may affect your business.
Our IP Counseling Services
- Infringement analysis
- Examining & analyzing IP portfolios of target companies
- Conducting IP searches
- Freedom-to-operate opinions
- Advising on comprehensive IP strategies
- Identifying & procuring potential copyrights, trademarks, patents, & trade secrets
Intellectual property audits allow businesses to systematically collect, assess, and review their IP assets and understand the related strengths, weaknesses, threats, and opportunities of each.
Our attorneys can help identify and protect the various intellectual properties a business owns to help it realize its full economic potential. Our IP audits assist with:
- IP identification & registration
- Rights management & maintenance
- Defect correction
- Asset valuation & monetization
- Infringement analysis
- Risk assessment
- Contract & licensing review & compliance
- Internal policy & procedure analysis
- Implementation of best practices for IP asset management
Patterson IP also provides event-specific IP audits for portfolio acquisition, new market penetration, brand campaign launches, key employee turnover, third-party infringement claims, and more.
IP due diligence is the process of auditing the intellectual property of a third-party entity, such as a competitor or target acquisition. Due diligence audits can help businesses:
- Determine the value of a corporate transaction
- Weigh risks of potential infringement
- Find opportunities for market capitalization
Our attorneys assist with identifying and analyzing the IP portfolios of target entities for either offensive or defensive purposes. Because our reports are scaled to a client’s specific issue, and proportional to the importance of the inquiry, we are able to provide a scalable analysis designed to provide clients key business intelligence even before transactional negotiations begin.
Preliminary Search & Opinions
Businesses looking to launch a new product or service are faced with the daunting task of evaluating whether their offerings will infringe any intellectual property rights owned by others. With millions of copyrights, trademarks, and patents in force nationwide, businesses that fail to obtain preliminary searches and opinions are effectively walking into a legal minefield, risking potential infringement of a competitor’s intellectual property and exposure to substantial damages.
We can provide:
- Patentability search & opinions for the likelihood of obtaining a patent
- Trademark knock-out and clearance searches & opinions for the availability and right to use a trademark
- Patent clearance & non-infringement opinions for whether a product or service is likely to infringe a specific patent
- Freedom to operate opinions for whether your product is likely to infringe a competitor’s patent portfolio
Patterson IP help businesses clear their products and services for launch.
Patterson IP provides comprehensive counseling on all aspects of IP strategy. In addition to specific prosecution and litigation services, our attorneys are uniquely qualified to advise on the broad impact of intellectual property in corporate matters.
We can provide targeted advice regarding the impact of IP upon:
- Corporate structure & relationships
- Creation of IP holding companies
- Asset monetization
- Brand management
We provide comprehensive counseling services by partnering with you and your corporate counsel, ensuring your IP strategy aligns with your overall corporate strategy and goals.